April 20, 2020
Dear Smithfield YMCA Community,
First and foremost, we hope this message finds you and your family healthy and safe during these challenging times. The Smithfield YMCA is committed to the health and safety of our members, program participants, staff and community. Although our facility has been closed to help prevent the spread of COVID19, our staff has dedicated their time to find new and unique approaches to serve the community.
• Wellness Checks to Senior Members: During the stay at home order, our staff has been checking in on our seniors with personal phone calls. Checking in with our seniors allows us to lend a listening ear, run to the market for their grocery items, pick up and deliver their medications from the pharmacy, discuss and provide home exercise tips and/or assistance with on-line resources.
• Virtual Fitness Classes: Our virtual classes ensure that our members are able to stay motivated and active with virtual wellness classes provided on the Smithfield YMCA’s Facebook page or visiting the website, www.ymca360.org. Live virtual classes are also being provided via Zoom Meetings to keep members connected with their friends and fellow members. Our amazing instructors and volunteers are also recording their own workouts and posting them to our Facebook page and Youtube channels. Virtual Fitness classes are for children, adults, seniors and families!
• Facility Maintenance: Rest assured our facility has been heavily sanitized!! We have been working extremely hard to ensure all facility maintenance projects are completed upon reopening. Facility projects included, all floors have stripped and waxed, program rooms were completely painted with new floor moldings, program supply closets have been reorganized and updated with storage and all program area carpets, as well as, the wellness center carpets have been cleaned and disinfected. The projects do not end there, we have a surprise waiting that we know you will LOVE!
• Virtual School-Age & Pre-School Programs: Our Facebook page has been updated with an array of craft videos by our very own Miss Hannah. Miss/Coach Jen has been posting aquatic safety tips and reading bedtime stories to our children. Stress relief and workout videos have been uploaded by Coach Shannon to address physical and mental health. We have also included healthy eating tips, mental health ideas, motivational quotes and so much more during this challenging time!
• Member & Program Participant Virtual Easter: On Friday, April 10th the Smithfield YMCA Staff, Board of Directors and the EASTER BUNNY delivered Easter Bags filled with goodies to over 188 families. It was so refreshing to see (from 6 feet away) many of the children and families that attend the YMCA. Stop & Shop of Smithfield generously donated candy to help make this virtual Easter drop-off a reality!
• Continued Planning of Programs and Summer Camp: Planning continues as we focus on ensuring that our programs, summer camp and facility are able to adapt to our possible “new normal.”
We are proud to say we continue serving our community even without the use of our physical facility. We ask you to #StayWithUs during these unprecedented times. The Smithfield YMCA will continue to navigate these unchartered waters and create unique and innovative methods to serve you and our entire community.
Your YMCA membership has always been about more than access to a building. It’s about making connections and building relationships. It’s about ensuring everyone – no matter who they are or where they come from – receive the support they need to reach their full potential. It’s about making your contribution to a stronger community of caring and generous people. You are one of those people and we appreciate your support.
As always, you have options. If you are able to #StayWithUs we truly appreciate your support. Your membership dues will be converted to a tax deductible donation during the time our facility has had to close. If you are able to #StayWithUs, no further action is needed – WE THANK YOU! Your membership is crucial to enabling the Y to continue with our operational expenses during this unforeseen closure.
If you are unable to maintain your membership during these trying times, please know that we understand and we appreciate the support you have offered. If requested, members may place their membership on hold for the May bank draft. If you would like to hold your membership for the month of May please contact ONE of the following staff members by Wednesday, April 29th:
|▪||Shauna@ymca1.org 949-2480 ext. 102|
|▪||Jennifer@ymca1.org 949-2480 ext. 106|
|▪||Shannon@ymca1.org 949-2480 ext. 105|
|▪||Hannah@ymca1.org 949-2480 ext. 101|
We will continue serving our community and we will communicate to you, the status of our operations through Email, Facebook, Instagram and our website: www.ymca1.org. We are devoted to being here for you and our community now and when the difficult work of recovery begins. In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy and please reach out to us if there is anything we can do to assist you during this difficult time. #WeAreHereForYou
You are all in the center of our hearts and thoughts and we cannot wait to see you again!
In good health and warm thoughts,
Shauna L. Lewis